You’re not being left out if you’ve never had a bite of Hi-CHEW candy. It’s a candy from Japan which was the place it was invented in the hands of Morinaga & Co., the nation’s first modern candy maker, in 1956. It was introduced to America in the year 2008.
The United States in 2008 has since gained popularity with everyone from celebrities to the general public! Its consistency is (obviously) chewy, like a combination of Starbust and gum; however, it is much more solid and taffy-like when you begin chewing.
It’s also available with an amazing array of flavors – nearly 200 worldwide! From the flavors of Italian citrus and Tsuyuakane plum to lilikoi, and Acai, HICHEW tastes stunningly exactly like the flavors it’s designed to taste similar. It’s a personal experience.
Also Read: Menudo Nutrition Facts
Hi-Chew Nutrition Facts
Find out the 12 most interesting facts about this delicious treat. Scroll down to the bottom for a Watermelon Hi-CHEWrita recipe!
Also Read: Truly Lemonade Nutrition Facts
- Taichiro Morinaga, the founder, discovered the art of making candy in the late 1800s when being in the United States. After returning to Japan to create Morinaga & Co., which is today the largest confectionery and frozen desserts producer in Japan. Morinaga America, Inc. was established in 2000 to bring HI-CHEW back where it began.
- What’s the link between HICHEW and gum? The HI-CHEW brand was initially developed as an alternative to chewing gum because it’s considered inappropriate and even unpalatable to remove food from the mouths in Japan.
- In the United States, 31 pieces of HI-CHEW are consumed every second. That’s 1902 pieces per second, 114,155 portions every hour, 2,730,900 pieces per day, and nearly 1 billion pieces each year!
- The most famous HI-CHEW celebrities are Chrissy Teigen, Ryan Gosling, John Mayer, Macklemore, and Nicki Minaj.
- Athletes indulge, too. Hi-Cheek has been a sponsor in players from the LA Dodgers, LA Angels, Boston Red Sox, Minnesota Twins, and Chicago Cubs and Chicago Cubs, who’ve been a fan of the snack both at the table and off.
- HI-CHEW has been made available in more than 185 different flavors all over the globe since its creation back in 1975!
- Hi-CHEW is currently offered in 22 different flavors across the United States, including core offerings and limited-edition special flavors. The most recent flavor launch featured the fruit combos HI-CHEW, including Tropical Smoothie and Pina Colada–a dual-in-one experience in flavor.
- The most well-known flavor of HI-CHEW across America is Strawberry which is then Mango and Green Apple.
- Morinaga America, Inc. takes the research and development of HI-CHEW extremely seriously. Instead of selecting flavors based on artificial notions, the flavors of HI-CHEW are developed by analyzing market trends, consumer demand, and the ever-changing American taste.
- With the increasing demand, it’s not a surprise that a United States manufacturing facility had to be built at Mebane, North Carolina, in 2015.
- Morinaga America, Inc. has seen double-digit growth year over year due to the growing acclaim of Morinaga, chewy and fruity sweets.
- Who doesn’t love candy cocktails? Since 2017, HI-CHEW has teamed up with Allison Kave, founder of Butter & Scotch Bar + Bake Shop in Brooklyn, NY as the brand’s official mixology partner. To bring the fruity flavor to life, Allison uses one chew let of HI-CHEW and mixes it into a one-quarter ounce of spirit or fruit juices to create HI-CHEW infusion. The recipes are easy and can be made at home using the HI-CHEW flavor you love.